Thursday, July 7, 2011

Black Currant Gimlet

So I made the black currant cordial.  I started with a rich simple syrup and added the currants along with some lemon juice and cinnamon.  After double straining and cooling...I had a lot of cordial.  Probably five liters worth.  But man it is so good.  Everyone should be making this stuff.

I always knew in the back of my head that with the right gin that this would make a great fruit infused gimlet.  But initially I tried to go the whiskey route.  After, a couple of versions with Bulleit Rye (which is great incidentally) that I liked but wasn't completely satisfied with I made a gimlet.  Damn...it worked. Eureka!


Black Currant Gimlet

2.25 oz. Death's Door Gin
1 oz. Black Currant Cordial (Using Nichols Farm Black Currants)
1 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
Shaken and strained over ice

Starts sweet.  Tart mid palate.  Finishes dry with gin botanicals and a little fruity earthiness from the currants.  Please come try one today at Henri 18 S Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment