Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ghost....Face.....Peppers!

Been gone from Market for a week as I made a plethora of huckleberry syrup.  Time for a change though and I was back at the intersection of Lincoln and Chicago.  It's a little chilly in the city and berries are fading.  Pumpkins and squash are starting to appear too.  Just writing these last two lines makes me feel like my grandmother Dora Mae Brown whose primary concerns are deaths, weather, and crop arrivals.  Full circle.

Tomatoes are still coming in though as well as peppers.  At Nichols Farm's stand I found the most infamous of all peppers.  The Ghost Pepper.


I asked the gentleman running the stand if these were hot like the ones I have had in the past (a past buffalo wing covered in ghost pepper sauce caused me extreme pain in the men's room once...if you have to ask, don't) and he replied...hotter.  So I was intrigued and scooped up ten.  I want to try to tame them a bit, but still I want to make this cocktail something of a challenge a "Tough Guy" cocktail if you will.  But now, a little on the Ghost Pepper...

In February 2011, Guinness World Records awarded the title of "World's Hottest Chilli" to the Infinity chilli grown in Grantham, England.[12] This chilli rates at 1,067,286 units on the Scoville scale.[13] Later the same month, on February 25, 2011, the title returned to the Naga Viper pepper with a rating of 1,382,118 Scoville Heat Units (SHU).[14] The current "world's hottest" is the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, officially tested at 1,463,700 SHU.[15] These figures are highly controversial among the pepper growing community and tests with more rigorous scientific standards are yet to be conducted on the many various peppers vying for "world's hottest" status. (Wikipedia)

Here's some footage:
What an idiot.

Again, I don't want to harm anyone and I still want them to be able to have a nice dinner here at Henri so the pressure is on to subdue the deadly Ghost Pepper.  And make it well...palatable.

Now for something you can't subdue.  The deadly Ghostface,  I love this video for it's use of Speed racer clips.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment